When Impractical Makes Practical Sense; Selling Your Home During the Holidays
The holiday season brings out the impractical in many, today's blog is a practical suggestion if you have been wanting to sell your home.
The added frills to your decorating can add appeal to potential buyers, making them feel at home immediately. Do you remember one of my favorite movie's, Funny Farm when characters played by Chevy Chase and Madolyn Smith Osborne have their home for sale at Christmas and pay the whole town to to create a Christmas wonderland? Shift your thinking and you may see when impractical makes practical sense.
One of the most common reasons I hear for not wanting a home listed during the holidays is that showings will interfere with family events during the holiday. We now use a powerful online scheduling tool for showings that allows sellers to have a lot of control over when showings can happen. Entire days or even blocks of just a few hours can be blocked from showing requests, reducing the stress from holiday planning while your home is being marketed.
Just like going against the crowd is a successful strategy used in investing, having your home listed during the holidays is a great strategy to sell your home. So many sellers either wait to list or cancel their listing during the holidays, the amount of inventory during this time is significantly lower. Since there are buyers who have to move regardless of the holidays, they have fewer options to choose from, which is why you, the seller will benefit. By waiting until spring to list your home when the majority do, your home will be lost in a sea of homes for sale.
I love working with clients who are buying during the holidays. They are typically more focused and determined. It is rare to have a buyer who is just shopping during that time of the year.
Every year at this time, many homeowners decide to wait until after the holidays to put their homes on the market for the first time, while others who already have their homes on the market decide to take them off until after the holidays.
Here are seven great reasons not to wait:
- Relocation buyers are out there. Many companies are still hiring throughout the holidays and need their employees in their new positions as soon as possible.
- Purchasers who are looking for homes during the holidays are serious buyers and are ready to buy now.
- You can restrict the showings on your home to the times you want it shown. You will remain in control.
- Homes show better when decorated for the holidays.
- There is less competition for you as a seller right now. Let’s take a look at listing inventory as compared to the same time last year:
- The desire to own a home doesn’t stop when the holidays come. Buyers who were unable to find their dream home during the busy spring and summer months are still searching!
- The supply of listings increases substantially after the holidays. Also, in many parts of the country, new construction will continue to surge reaching new heights in 2018, which will lessen the demand for your house.
Waiting until after the holidays to sell your home probably doesn’t make sense.
You might also enjoy reading...
Jon Niemeyer is the Broker/Owner of EXIT Realty North Star, 1039 Sunset Dr Norwalk, IA 50211. We provide full service real estate services to the Des Moines, Iowa metro area. Learn more about Jon at JonNiemeyer.com.
Pointing People in Positive Directions